The Blues were humiliated away to Eddie Howe’s men on Wednesday evening, conceding four times in a woeful second-half display on the south coast.
After the defeat, Sarri locked his players in the dressing room for almost an hour as he tried to get his message across to his squad.
The Italian admitted later that evening he was struggling to motivate his Chelsea stars.
But addressing the media today, Sarri explained exactly what happened when he kept his players behind after the clash.
“I didn’t attack the players, I talked to them because I needed to understand,” he told reporters.
“Then I went home immediately because I wanted to review the match, there wasn’t another reason.”
Before Sarri made it home, the Sun report that he was stopped by angry fans outside the Vitality Stadium.
The publication reports one supported asked the Italian if he could actually motivate his under-performing players going forward.
The Chelsea boss was also told the display had been “disgusting” and one annoyed supporter labelled it the “worst performance he had ever seen”.
But Sarri showed his class by stopping and listening to what the fans had to say.
And after they had said their piece, the 60-year-old offered multiple apologies, saying sorry several times and shaking hands with each supporter before leaving.
Sarri is beginning to face pressure after a string of questionable results.